Almost everyone would love to create the “Workout Habit” and live a healthy lifestyle. The hard part is creating the habit and making it part of your daily lifestyle. The following are tips on how to make working out a habit:
- The first steps to take are to make your workouts part of your daily schedule and to view your workout as a “cannot” miss appointment on your “to do list”. Block the time off on your schedule, and to help ensure that life does not get in the way, plan it for the first thing in the morning. To make getting to the gym easier, gather up what you need for your workout the night before and set it aside, so everything is ready for you. Tell yourself you will not make excuses for missing workouts.
- Find yourself a workout partner. You are more likely to show up at the gym if you know someone is depending on you to be there.
- Try different forms of exercise until you find the workout regimen you like. Once you have the workout you enjoy, it will make getting to the gym a whole lot easier.
- Start off slow and easy and build on it. This will help you avoid injury and prepare yourself mentally and physically for more intense workouts to come.
- Look at exercise in a positive light and tell yourself that you, “want to workout”. Remind yourself how great you feel after working out and visualize how the “new you” will look!
- Set a goal and commit to it by writing it down. We are much more likely to commit to a goal if we have committed to it in writing.
- Remember, you will not always get a great workout in, but a bad workout is always better than the one you did not do. Some exercise is better than none!
- Measure your workouts. With today’s technology it is easy to track the intensity of your efforts. It is a lot easier to improve something, if you have an accurate way of measuring it.
Working out is like many things in life; If it were easy, everybody would do it! Tell yourself you will not make excuses for missing workouts and keep in mind, “If you think you can or think you can’t, you are absolutely right”! The secret to how to make working out a habit is to just believe you can.